Our Chiropractic Team In Birmingham AL Can Help Treat Athletes Of All Ages and Abilities
Are you an athlete or simply enjoy staying active? If you have a sports injury—or even if you're just looking for ways to improve your physical performance—our Birmingham chiropractor, Dr. Gerald Collins, along with his colleague Dr. Kirsten Machen, would be honored to work with you and get your body back in shape at Collins Chiropractic Center.
Common Types of Sports Injuries
You may be just starting a new exercise program or have participated in regular physical activity for decades. No matter what your experience or preferred sport, a sports injury can occur at any time. A few of the ones we see the most often among our patients include:
- Rotator cuff strain: tears in the muscle fibers around your shoulder joint
- Impingement syndrome: compression of tendons as they enter the shoulder, due to repeated overhead motion (often in swimmers and pitchers)
- Tennis elbow and golfer's elbow: frequent elbow and wrist flexion/extension can inflame the tissues on the outside and inside of the joint (respectively); this is called epicondylitis
- Neck pain and back pain: athletes and active people may have spinal pain due to disc herniation or bulge, muscle spasms and strains, and joint misalignments
- Knee pain: pain on the outside of the knee is often caused by iliotibial band syndrome; pain on the front of the knee is often caused by runner's knee (wearing down of the underside of the kneecap); ligament sprains, tendonitis, and meniscus tears can also occur in the knee (common in people who pivot, jump, run, dance, play contact sports, etc.)
- Shin splints: medial tibial stress syndrome, or pain on the front of the shins due to repeated impact
- Plantar fasciitis: heel pain caused by inflammation of the plantar fascia (the arch of your foot)
Risk Factors for Sports Injury
People who sustain sports injuries often do "too much too soon," don't rest enough or fail to hydrate and fuel themselves properly. Poor technique, ill-fitting equipment, poor running surfaces, postural imbalance, and accidents may also increase a person's risk for injury.
Sports Injury Treatment With a Chiropractor in Birmingham
Working with a chiropractor in Birmingham can help you recover from a sports injury in several ways:
- Natural chiropractic care, including adjustments, acupuncture, and spinal decompression can alleviate pain, swelling, and inflammation
- Exercises can help you regain range of motion, strength, endurance, and neuromuscular coordination
- Nutritional and lifestyle counseling can help you optimize full body health, avoid recurring problems, and improve athletic performance!
Is A Sports Injury Holding You Back? Contact Collins Chiropractic Center in Birmingham
Call (205) 923-0151 to schedule an appointment with a sports injury chiropractor in Birmingham AL today.